The Joy Luck Club
The Joy Luck Club
By Amy Tan
Minerva ed.
London
Minerva
1990
Copyright 1989
Also available on DVD
This is a beautifully interwoven story of 4 mothers and their daughters that crosses cultural lines and personal journeys. When the joy luck club meets, each host provides a delicious ,mouth-watering meal.
“the week before she died, she called me ,full of pride, full of life. Auntie Lin cooked red bean soup for joy luck . I’m going to cook black sesame seed soup”
“my father hasn’t eaten well since my mother died.So I am here in the kitchen to cook him dinner. I’m slicing tofu .I’ve decided to make him a spicy bean curd dish .My mother used to tell me how hot things restore the spirit and health. But I’m making this mostly because I know my father loves this dish and I know how to cook it.I like the smell of it:ginger, scallions , and a red chili sauce that tickles my nose the minute I open the jar.”
Comments
Post a Comment